A Shocking Reflection…

So I’m sure many of you have noticed lately that my posts have been few and far between. We have had back to back deaths in our family that have impacted us tremendously. Every time I wanted to write something, I would open my laptop and just stare at the screen. I felt like I had nothing helpful, inspiring or motivating to write. All I wanted to do was write about how sad, stressed and consumed I was… and I just didn’t feel like anything I had to write was worth reading. For the first time in a long while, I had nothing to say.

So here I am, ready to write again. I want to jump in with both feet and write something really great that will let my readers know that I am back from my little hiatus. I thought I was going to write about some of my experiences these past few weeks and the lessons I’ve learned… but instead I think I will just share a funny story. Because, after all, I did originally start this blog as a simple hobby and stress reliever. So here we go… no stress… no pressure… just me sharing a funny story.

The other day I woke up and felt like someone had punched me in the face. I figured that maybe one of my little monsters had poked or hit me with some toy or flying weapon of some sort. I was expecting to maybe see a little bruise or scrape on my face when I dragged myself into the bathroom to get ready in the morning. Instead, I looked into the mirror to see what looked like some sort of giant sore of my cheekbone. What is that? I looked closer. Holy shit. Is that a pimple? It couldn’t be. Yes… it was the biggest zit that I had ever seen… EVER.

Being that I have never had a pimple like that before on my actual cheekbone, I was mortified. I tried everything to cover it up, only to make it angier and way worse. Yes… you heard me correctly, my giant oversized zit was angry. It was so big that it definitely could be defined as having a personality of it’s own. My husband claimed that it was indeed, ‘alive and breathing’. I would have probably just stayed in and avoided all public interaction, however being that we had funeral arrangements to go to, that was not really an option. So I carried on my day, and pretended like I didn’t have an alien lifeform growing off of my face.

The next day was even worse, seeing as I had poked and prodded at it so much the night before. This was a day that I really didn’t have anything I HAD to do. So, I dropped my daughter off at her preschool class and hurried home to try to get some housework done. I hadn’t slept well the night before and felt like a stressed out zombie, yet I decided to stick to my guns and actually accomplish something. I pulled my unwashed fuzzy hair back, threw on one of my daughter’s headbands, cranked the tunes and got to work. Figuring that I would change before I went to get my daughter, I just threw on some old scrubby clothes to clean the house in.

After a few hours of cleaning, I got distracted with a some side projects and ended up fielding a multitude of phone calls. Next thing I knew, I looked at the clock and it was 11:23. Shit. Double Shit. I am going to be late picking up my daughter. I flew out the door like a raging lunatic with just my keys and purse with me. I managed to get there only a few minutes late, and was greeted by the instructor at the door. She kind of looked at me funny. Naturally I figured she saw my giant welt on my face and wondered if I had some sort of contagious disease. I avoided eye contact and headed back to the car.

My daughter insisted that we go to the dollar store to get some halloween decorations. I was feeling so bad about being late that I just caved and entertained her request. As I walked up and down the aisles, I felt people’s eyes following me. They are probably wondering if someone burned my face with a cigarette. Okay… I may be exaggerating slightly, but seriously this thing was and still is huge. As I checked out the cashier was extremely friendly and she stared at me like I had a third eye. Well… I kind of did, but it all seemed a bit strange.


Okay… so here is my ridiculous headband and monster pimple.

We got home from the store, and I walked up to the front door. As my husband greeted me, he asked me where I had been. When I responded he looked at me like I was crazy. ‘What?’ Then I realized what he and everyone else was looking at. As I stared at my reflection in the glass door, my jaw hit the ground. I had been so stressed and consumed with phone calls and tasks, that when I realized I was late I ran out of the house with no concern regarding my appearance. No one was staring at my giant pimple… they were staring at the crazy woman who was wearing bright pink sweatpants, a ripped and stained turquoise undershirt and a bright coloured star designed headband pulling back my unkept hair. And while I’m sure they may have wondered about the giant sore on my face… I’m pretty sure they were more focused on whether or not I was in the right mind to be out in public at all.

This is for the mom’s out there that have ever gotten so wrapped up in their ‘stress’, that they forgot to look in the mirror before dashing out the front door. To all you moms out there who have shocked themselves with their own reflection a little too late in the day… don’t worry, you’re still a good mom. I promise not to stare at your ridiculous appearance as you walk obliviously out in public, because I’ve been there too. So there it is… a simple story to get me back to writing, sharing and listening to all the moms out there.

Comments are closed.